Fearfully and wonderfully made
We are made by God in His image with body, soul, and spirit.
Animals are wonderful creations of God made for the purposes of companionship and pleasure and to bring glory to God.
But they are limited in their expressions and communications. A lot of what they do comes from instinct or conditioning.
We are different
As humans we are much more complicated. In fact, the Bible says we are fearfully and wonderfully made.
We are spiritual creations
Our soul consists of the mind, will, and emotions
We live in our body which has the 5 senses: taste, touch, sight, hearing, and smell
When it comes to losing weight, it really should be easy. If you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight.
The scientific calculation is simple and pretty straight forward.
While the concept of losing weight is simple, it is not easy. And the reason it is not easy is because of how we are made.
Negative thinking or emotional eating is a huge battle that we all fight. And if all we are fighting the “fat battle” with is just a “diet book,” then we are doomed to fail.
Why we don't respond to “diets”
When you focus just on your body and the “diet” you have to stay on, you are ignoring two thirds of yourself. Be sure to take into consideration your whole self.
If you try to change your food intake, or “diet” without involving your mind, will, and emotions, you will meet stiff resistance.
This is why I say you need to first develop your why, your purpose, or meaning for changing your diet.
Hunger is not the biggest battle
The biggest battles you will fight concerning weight loss will not be hunger. In fact, the hardest battles you will face will be handling your emotions and thoughts. When you can conquer your thoughts, you are well on your way to weight loss.
I don't mean to make this sound too deep or hard to do either. Sometimes we can over think something so much that we don't take action at all.
But I do think you need to be aware that because we are made body, soul, and spirit, we need to address the whole person.
Do what is important FIRST
Today, make a list of some whys which will help inspire you on your journey to good health.
Check out the list below as it may give you some ideas to make your own.
Many of these I use all the time...and you can, too.
- I want to be a good example to my family
- I am tired of being sick and tired
- I want to glorify God on earth
- I want to have more energy
- I want to know I can control my body
- Self-control is a fruit of the Spirit
- I don’t want to get a chronic illness
- I don’t want to visit the doctor or pharmacist as I age
- I want to be athletic
- A disciple is a “disciplined one”
- My body is His temple and I want to be respectful
- I want to play with my children or grandchildren
- I want to be the best “me” in body, soul, and spirit
- When my grandkids are teenagers and they want to go hiking...I want to go with them!