"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way - ….”
I think in some ways quoting from the famous story, The Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, describes the health challenges of today.
Because there is so much junk food, fast food, and easy access to cheap food, it is easier today to become fat and unhealthy. There has never been a time in history when child obesity was as bad as it is now. I heard a tailor who makes custom school clothes for Jewish school kids in New York City say on the news that he is making clothes bigger and bigger each year for the same age school kids.
For the first time, it is possible that the generation to come will be less healthy and die sooner than their parents.
Have you noticed all the new drug stores being built everywhere? And they all have drive-up windows! Sometimes there are two or three major drug stores built right across from each other.
The drug companies have studied the market, and they know what the demand will be in the future. They see what is coming and they are getting ready for all the prescriptions business.
And so now we can get our food and prescriptions from a drive-up window.
Yes, in the United States it is very easy to overeat fast/junk food every day. It is accessible everywhere, on almost every street corner and in every grocery and convenience store.
But then on the other side…
There has NEVER been a time in all of WORLD HISTORY that it is so EASY to eat healthy and have such an abundance of healthy nutritional food!
- Do you want fresh or frozen strawberries every day of the year? 100% available.
- Do you want fresh cleaned lettuce that is ready to eat? 100% available.
- Do you want almost any kind of fresh or frozen fruit to make a smoothie? 100% available.
- Do you want fresh or frozen chicken breast meat that is ready to cook and eat? 100% available.
- Do you want fresh or frozen beef, turkey, or fish that is ready to cook and eat? 100% available.
- Do you want fresh, cleaned, and ready to eat green spinach (that’s great for smoothies)? 100% available.
- Do you want almost any kind of fresh or frozen vegetable to cook and eat? 100% available.
- Do you want to eat fruits and vegetables that are organic? 100% available.
- Do you want fresh healthy bread with no preservatives? 100% available.
- Do you want fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables that are not organic? 100% available.
- Do you want organic fresh grains, (wheat or oats) to cook with? 100% available.
- Do you want fresh or frozen corn, peas, or green beans to cook with? 100% available.
- Do you want grass fed beef or pork? 100% available.
- Do you want fresh eggs to cook with? 100% available.
- Do you want range-fed chicken meat or eggs? 100% available.
- Do you want chicken eggs or meat from chickens in a cage? 100% available.
- Do you want fresh apples, oranges, bananas, grapes, raisins, and plums any day of the year? 100% available.
- Do you want an assortment of nuts and avocados with your meal? 100% available.
In the United States, there has never been a better time in world history for mankind to eat healthy and be at a healthy natural weight. Just think how much easier it is now day to eat healthy! You can buy chicken breast already skinned, salad and vegetables already cleaned. Fresh bread already baked. Don't tell yourself that it is so hard to eat healthy! Tell yourself how blessed you are to live in a day when you can eat so healthy without a lot of hard work.
But the problem is not the opportunity to eat healthy. The problem is what you think about all these foods I have listed.
Do you think you are a victim of evil capitalists who are trying to get you addicted to all the junk food or fast food that is available?
(Everyone knows all of our health problems are the fault of McDonald’s and Burger King!)
Or do you think that you are the most blessed person in the history of mankind and you are going to take advantage of the many choices we have to eat healthy?
Change your thinking and you will change your health and experience weight loss.
(I am writing this from the perspective of living in California. I know full well that much of the world would love to have the “problems” that I describe in this post.)